By Uncle David Nicholas
It has been 101 days and 100 nights since my nephew, Cole Austin left us. 101 days of struggles and questions. 100 nights accompanied by the palpable presence of God’s nearness. 101 days of grace granted, and compassion conveyed from God, friends, family and strangers. 100 nights have passed, placing us in the middle of National Suicide Prevention Week.
I wish I could share sage-like wisdom these 3 months and 11 days have granted me — I can’t. The more I have grappled with this loss, the less I know, but the more I feel. I can only share my emotional knowledge — the things my heart has learned:
1. You are loved – beyond measure.
2. You have God-given purpose.
3. You are priceless, irreplaceable. And absolutely needed.
4. God is at hand — regardless of your past, regardless of how far you may have ran. God is near.
5. Take the time. Every day. To spend the time with those who mean the world to you.
6. Be kind – you never know what losses those around you face.
7. Don’t hesitate to speak the words, to speak your soul, to make the difference in another’s life.
8. If you find yourself in a desperatedark struggle, seek help.
9. And to repeat, You are loved — beyond measure.